- QOwnNotes stores notes to your note folder as markdown files
- It can talk to your Nextcloud / ownCloud server to publicly share notes with other people
- You can also access your note history and trash on your Nextcloud / ownCloud server via the QOwnNotesApi Nextcloud app
- Todo lists on your Nextcloud / ownCloud server can be accessed from within QOwnNotes
- QOwnNotes does not sync your notes and media / attachment files!
- File syncing is a complex endeavor, there are already great file syncing solutions out there (see Nextcloud desktop sync client)
# Markdown note files
- You own all your notes and media / attachment files!
- Yours notes are stored as plain-text Markdown files on your desktop computer
- You can use any text editor you like beside QOwnNotes to view or edit your note files
- Sync your notes with other devices (desktop & mobile) with your Nextcloud (opens new window) or ownCloud (opens new window) sync client to your server
# QOwnNotes browser extension
You can manage your browser bookmarks with QOwnNotes or use it as a web clipper.
The browser extensions works offline, no internet connection needed. Please visit QOwnNotes Web Companion browser extension for more information.
# Nextcloud desktop sync client
Of course other solutions, like Dropbox, Syncthing, Seafile or BitTorrent Sync can be used too to sync your notes and other files.
You can also use git to sync with tools like gitomatic (opens new window).
# Nextcloud server
You can host your own server or use hosted solutions.
Of course other solutions, like Dropbox, Syncthing, Seafile or BitTorrent Sync can be used too to host your notes and other files.
# QOwnNotesAPI Nextcloud app
QOwnNotesAPI (opens new window) lets you access your server-side trashed notes and note versions.
Please visit QOwnNotesAPI Nextcloud App for more information.
# Nextcloud Notes server app
Use Nextcloud Notes (opens new window) to edit your notes in the web.
Keep in mind that Nextcloud Notes currently only supports up to one level of subfolders.
# Nextcloud Notes mobile app
To access your Nextcloud / ownCloud notes from your mobile device you can use different apps.
- Nextcloud Notes for Android (opens new window) (3rd party)
You could also use any sync-tool like Synchronize Ultimate or FolderSync to sync your note files and use software like neutriNotes to edit your notes.
- CloudNotes for iOS (opens new window) (3rd party)
You can also use Notebooks (opens new window) and sync your notes via WebDAV, there is a good tutorial at Taking Notes with Nextcloud, QOwnNotes, and Notebooks (opens new window)
This is an online service provided by QOwnNotes to check if there is a new release of the application available.
It is talking to GitHub and checks for the latest release, gets a suited download url and compiles the changes from the changelog compared to the version of QOwnNotes you are currently using as html to show in the update dialog.
In addition, it also provides the Release RSS Feed (opens new window) and an implementation of the legacy update checking api for older versions of QOwnNotes.
# QOwnNotes Web App
You can insert photos from your mobile phone into the current note in QOwnNotes on your desktop via the web application on app.qownnotes.org (opens new window).
Please visit QOwnNotes Web App for more information.